Valentine’s Day does not usually conjure up thoughts of hot summer days at the pool, but there are plenty of reasons to love swimming. The benefits of joining a summer swim team last all year long, and can be a perfect match for kids and families new to competitive swimming.
Months before most pools are open for summer, swim teams around the country are getting organized. Open registration sometimes starts and ends by early Spring, so planning early is a must. A quick email or call to your local swim shop, neighborhood pool, YMCA, or private club can help you find a local summer/recreational team close to home. Get involved now to avoid wait lists and late fees. Ask about any pre-team classes (with a heated pool) happening in your area to help your swimmer get in shape for the summer swim season.
5 Great Reasons to Love Swimming:
1. Swimming is great exercise – swimming is a high-energy, low-impact way to build strength and endurance. Daily practices and weekly meets get your swimmer moving almost every day during the season.
2. Swimming is a great way to make new friends – kids of all abilities practice and compete in their own age groups from year to year, creating lifelong friendships that last beyond school. It’s also a great way for parents to not only meet the neighbors, but actually get to know them while volunteering together.
3. Swimming is fun – kids don’t know they are exercising when they are swimming with friends, and they are building a love of a sport that can be enjoyed for a lifetime.
4. Swimming might make you smarter – regular exercise has been shown to improve academic/mental performance at every age, and can build skills leading to great jobs for teens like lifeguards and swim instructors, which look great on college applications and resumes.
5. Swimming teaches the value of setting & attaining goals – swimming is a team sport that also emphasizes personal best achievement through time improvement as a way to advance the team.
We hope these reasons to love swimming will inspire you to get matched up with a local swim team now!